Race/Ethnicity: Illinois Children Under Age 5
Find out more about this data.
The total number of children under age 5 who are:
- Hispanic or Latino (of any race)
- White Alone, Non-Hispanic or Latino
- Black or African American, Non-Hispanic or Latino
- American Indian and Alaska Native, Non-Hispanic or Latino
- Asian, Non-Hispanic or Latino
- Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander, Non-Hispanic or Latino
- Other, Non-Hispanic or Latino
- Two or More Races, Non-Hispanic or Latino
Latest data: 2021
Data source and notes
IECAM demographers prepared estimates of population based on Census Bureau estimates for the following programs or surveys:
- Population Estimates Program
- American Community Survey, 5-year estimates
These race/ethnicity categories and their labels are from U.S. Census Bureau series of tables B01001.
These data are available for the following geographic areas: state, county, township, municipality, state Senate district, state House district, congressional district, elementary school district, unit school district, ZIP Code Tabulation Area (ZCTA), Chicago Community Area, and by ISBE region and IDHS region, which are sums of counties.
These data represent children under age 5. This is in contrast to the data that IECAM reports for total population of children, which is for children birth through age 5, as well as of children at individual ages 0 through 5. Therefore, with these data on children by race/ethnicity, the total number of children birth through age 4 is also provided for purposes of calculating percents.
Note: For years prior to 2016, race/ethnicity categories were reported differently. Contact IECAM for more information.
Note: Because of pandemic-related disruptions to data collection in 2020, the U.S. Census Bureau has alerted American Community Survey (ACS) data users to expect somewhat larger margins of error in the 2016-2020 5-year estimates than in previous 5-year releases.
For more information about U.S. Census race/ethnicity data, visit the About the Topic of Race page on their website